How to Choose the Best Skylight Blinds
If you have decided to install skylights in your home, you are definitely on the right track. Their main benefit is that they increase the amount of light coming into the room, allow for ventilation and boost the visual aesthetic of the place. Whether it is an office space or a room in your home, you know installing skylights makes a clear difference for the better.
Before you decide which type of skylight you want, you want to know how to choose the right one. Not all skylights are equal and the type you select can make a huge difference. A few important factors to remember are:
- Placement and orientation of the skylight - experts should determine the best placement spot for the skylight, all the while taking into consideration the roof orientation and potential obstructions within the roof cavity.
- Purpose of the skylight - the primary and secondary purposes of the skylight are very important to consider. Apart from extra light, do you require access to the roof, more ventilation in the room or just a boost in visual appeal?
- Shape and size - usually, a bigger skylight is better, as it allows for more extra light in the room. However, the size of the available roof area needs to be taken into consideration.
- Added accessories - do you want blinds to reduce or completely block the light? How about a light fitting for light at night? You can even include a fan, if the room is one known for high moisture levels.
- Building compliance - what building codes do you need to comply with in regards to installing skylights?
We are more than happy to discuss all of these factors with you and more. Give us a call for a consultation on the best type of skylight and we will be sure to recommend the best type for your needs. At HiSky we have the expertise to guide you in your choice of skylights, ensuring you get the best one for your home or office.
Now that you know more about the major considerations on how to choose blinds, you should learn more about the different features and types of skylight blinds you can pick.
Electric blinds for skylights
If you want to have more control over the amount of light entering the skylight, you can get skylight blinds. Electric skylight blinds allow for remote operation and almost make the skylight feel like a light switch that you can turn on and off at a whim. There are multiple advantages of getting electric skylight blinds:
- Remote control - unlike manual blinds, electric blinds allow for remote control. This allows for blinds to be utilised on skylights that are not within easy reach. It turns them into a light switch that can be used on and off whenever you feel like more light is needed in the room.
- Reduce incoming daylight - if the skylights are located right above your bed, you may want to reduce the incoming light early in the morning and get more shuteye. Electric skylight blinds are perfect for that purpose.
- Fit every shape and size of skylight - blinds are versatile and can be added to pretty much any type of skylight.
- More privacy - another great benefit of electric blinds is that they allow for more privacy whenever you need it.
Electric skylight blinds are the best addition to get for skylights that you want to control remotely.
Flat roof skylight blinds
Blinds for flat roof skylights are perfect for hard-to-reach places. You can either have them manual, in which case you can use a pole to control them, or perhaps electric, which allows for remote control. There are several types you can choose from, all ideal for flat roofs:
- Roller blinds - they come in synthetic and natural fabrics. They allow for precise control, because you can just roll them up or down to the degree you want. There are premium models with very polished look that conceal their operating mechanisms.
- Venetian blinds - these are horizontal slats that control light by tilting. If they are lying flat against the window, they block out light completely. They are a popular solution for bathrooms and kitchens.
- Pleated blinds - the fabric or paper these are made of forms an accordion pattern. They soften the light coming into the room, which makes them a good option for the living room skylights.
- Cellular blinds - they are very similar to pleated blinds. The main difference is that they have 2 separate layers of the material - back and front. The middle is essentially insulation that adds some protection against cold and hot weather.
Of course, some of those can be used for pitched roof windows as well.
Skylight blackout blinds
Skylight blackout blinds serve a simple purpose: to block the light coming through the skylights. They are a great addition for the bedroom, where you may need complete darkness from time to time. They can be installed on your roof windows to block almost all light, if you want them to. You can open them and close them as you wish. There are roof blinds that you can operate manually, but there are also the window blinds that people wish to operate remotely. Blackout blinds are also adding to any room's aesthetic appeal. Blackout roof window blinds come in a variety of sizes, shapes, colours and designs to comply with your needs and preferences.
Made to measure skylight blinds
Made to measure skylight blinds allow for customisation and full compatibility with any type of skylight that you are using currently. You will just need to take the measures of your skylight window and have a company provide you with all of the available options. Made to measure skylight blinds are fully compatible with any window manufacturer and can feature blackout fabrics, motorised blinds and a wide range of styles designed to fit any room setting and window type.
Getting more natural light into a room with the help of skylights is a great thing to do for any part of your home or office. Adding in one of the described types of blinds to these skylights can greatly improve their utility and convenience.